Wednesday 25 January 2012

CBR4 Book 9: "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)" by Mindy Kaling

Page count: 240 pages
Rating: 4 stars
Date begun: January 23rd, 2012
Date finished: January 24th, 2012

I have never watched a single episode of the American version of The Office (I know, what cave have I been living in?), but after reading Mindy Kaling's very funny autobiography, I'm absolutely going to mainline as many seasons as I can find.

Last year, I read Tina Fey's Bossypants, and it was as many other people have also agree, absolutely hilarious. Through CBRIII and IV, and on other review sites on the interwebs, I saw mention of Mindy Kaling's book, and while not as funny as Fey's book (possibly made funnier by me loving Mean Girls and 30 Rock), it still made me burst out laughing (to the point where I got weird looks on public transport) about once a page. It's a delightful and very quick read. To quote Kaling herself: "This book will take you two days to read. Did you even see the cover? It's mostly pink. If you're reading this book every night for months, something is not right."

Kaling makes humorous observations about her childhood, living in New York, Hollywood (her list of movie piches especially cracked me up), life, romance anddating, her own appearance and the media's perception of her. She even includes a selection of photos from her Blackberry and instructions for her own funeral. It's not in any way a profound or soul searching book, it's written to entertain, and suceeds brilliantly. I suspect that if you read and enjoyed Bossypants, you'll like this too. If you don't find that sort of biography funny (what's wrong with you?), you should probably give it a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment