Thursday 25 July 2013

#CBR5 Book 104. "Fatale, vol 1: Death Chases Me" by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips

Page count: 144 pages
Rating: 4 stars

Nicholas Lash meets a stunning young woman at his godfather's funeral. Soon there are black clad gunmen after him, and the beautiful woman rescues him and drags him along on a high speed car chase. There is clearly more to her than meets the eye.

Josephine, the beautiful woman, is seemingly ageless, and in flashback we are told how she first met Dominic Raines, Nicholas' godfather, back in the 1940s and more about her mysterious and dangerous past. Every man who meets Jo seems to fall completely under her spell. Why doesn't she age? What was her connection to Raines, and why have sinister gunmen chased her through the ages?

The comic starts as a noir, but clearly has Lovecraftian influences, in a story involving dark forces, sinister rituals, corrupt cops, starry-eyed reporters, car chases, gun fights, murder, mystery and mayhem. The story is brilliantly told by Ed Brubaker, and wonderfully and very appropriately illustrated by Sean Phillips. Jo is a true femme fatale, and unwittingly brings despair and destruction to any man who falls under her spell. This first trade collects the first five issues, and while the story continues in the next volume, it can be read as a satisfying story in and of itself. Of all the comics I bought during my Chicago vacation, this is the one I'm so far the most certain that I will continue reading. Brubaker writes amazing mystery and suspense, and I can't wait to see how the story develops further.

With this, I complete my double Cannonball, 3 months earlier than I managed it last year. I'm still unsure if I want to attempt the monumental triple Cannonball, only ever completed by one participant, as far as I recall. Still, with four weeks left of my summer vacation, and several long plane journeys ahead of me, I'm not going to rule it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment