Saturday 18 November 2017

#CBR9 Book 102: "Giant Days, vol 1" by John Allison, Lissa Treiman and Whitney Cogar

Page count: 128 pages
Rating: 4 stars

From the back blurb:
Susan, Esther and Daisy started at university three weeks ago and became fast friends. Now, away from home for the first time, all three want to reinvent themselves. But in the face of hand-wringing boys, "personal experimentation", influenza, mystery-mold, nu-chauvinism, and the willful, unwanted intrusion of "academia", they may be lucky just to make it to spring alive. Going off to university is always a time of change and growth, but for Esther, Susan, and Daisy, things are about to get a little weird. 

I think this comic book came to my attention when my book twin on the internet, Narfna, started reading them and giving them very enthusiastic write-ups. During last summer's visit to New York, I picked up the first volume, fully intending to read it and then it got shelved and I sort of forgot about it (this happens FAR too frequently - once I own a book, the rush to read it fades quickly). I wasn't really sure what to expect, but the slightly off-beat adventures of these three young women at university was certainly entertaining.

My main gripe about this collection is that you only get four measly issues in one book. Comic book trade paperbacks are not cheap, and the least they could do is give you five or six stories, not a paltry four! This merely whetted my appetite. It sets up a lot of stuff, but gives absolutely no pay-off. It's like some sort of clever scam, make you hungry for more and then make you pay to get further satisfaction. *grumble*. Allison and Treiman's collaborative work is good enough that I will absolutely be reading more. I can always hope for more comic books for Christmas.

Judging a book by its cover: The cover is very simple as graphic novels go. I like the warm and very bright yellow, and Lissa Treiman's art and way of depicting the characters is awesome. Just Esther sitting on her duffel bag, looking at her phone. Nothing fancy, just giving you a little hint of the contents inside.

Crossposted on Cannonball Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment