Sunday 18 January 2015

Reading Challenges 2015: New Author Challenge

I read a lot and I feel like I spend much of every year waiting for new books from my favourite authors to come out. There are some writers whose books I will pre-order months in advance, others where I will make sure to clear my schedule to make sure I can read their new release soon after the book comes out. But I also really enjoy discovering new authors, whose books can keep me company while I wait for the new releases of the writers I already love.

Hence the New Author Challenge 2015, hosted by Literary Escapism. There are no restrictions on choosing the novels, which can happily overlap with other challenges. However, the authors have to be new to you, and preferably from novels. Anthologies are a great way to try someone new, but only a third of your new authors can be from short stories/novellas or anthologies.

You can pick either 15, 25 or 50 new authors. If you reach your goal halfway through the year, don't stop. You can always try to reach for the next level.

As this is the first year I'm doing the challenge, and I have no intention of giving up my comfort reads by authors I already love in favour of just chasing down new reading experiences, I am starting gently, committing myself to 15-24 new authors this year. I will obviously keep going if I manage more, but I'm also not going to force myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment