Tuesday 9 February 2010

CBR interrupted: "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov

When a Pajiba book club was suggested, I thought the idea sounded good. The first book proposed for the book club was Nabokov's Lolita, and there were many enthusiastic comments about it in the thread on Pajiba. It's one of the many books I've never read, so I thought I would try to yet again improve my mind by reading a book considered a literary classic. It failed miserably, however. I have managed to force myself to read a third of the book, but have now read three other books as well (two rereads), and I just cant bring myself to continue, as the book just bores me too much. My husband claims that I'm a crazy, shallow person, and that the book is beautifully written and that Nabokov has a wonderful grasp of language. I'm sure that's true, but I don't care how brilliantly a writer can twist words if the book I'm reading does not engage me on any level, and has trouble holding my attention (the fact that I've read three other books rather than more of Lolita suggests it's just not something I find particularly gripping). More to the point, every time I've finished one of the other books, my heart sinks a little at the thought of having to read more of Lolita. I find the book both boring and a bit creepy, not at all witty and clever like my husband describes it. I figured that after reading a third of the book, I've given it a fair try. I'm just not going to bother expending any more energy on it. Guess Lolita will be another literary classic I can never say I've completed, mainly because I cannot bring myself to read the rest just to say I've read the book. Hopefully I will find future reads in the Pajiba book club more to my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment