Saturday 10 August 2024

CBR16 Book 41: "Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me" by Mariko Tamaki and Rosemary Valero-O'Connell

Page count: 304 pages
Rating: 5 stars

Nowhere Books Bingo - Graphic novel

Official plot summary, because once again I have waited to long to review the book: Laura Dean, the most popular girl in high school, was Frederica Riley's dream girl: charming, confident, and SO cute. There's just one problem: Laura Dean is maybe not the greatest girlfriend.

Reeling from her latest break up, Freddy's best friend, Doodle, introduces her to the Seek-Her, a mysterious medium, who leaves Freddy some cryptic parting words: break up with her. But Laura Dean keeps coming back, and as their relationship spirals further out of her control, Freddy has to wonder if it's really Laura Dean that's the problem. Maybe it's Freddy, who is rapidly losing her friends, including Doodle, who needs her now more than ever. Fortunately for Freddy, there are new friends, and the insight of advice columnists like Anna Vice to help her through being a teenager in love.

This is one of those books that I heard a lot about when it came out and bought as soon as it was available in paperback (I don't like reading comics and graphic novels digitally), then put on my bookshelf and forgot. Since we have a full floor to ceiling bookshelf dedicated entirely to comics and graphic novels, once something is shelved there, it's no longer out in the open to remind me. I probably shouldn't have waited years to read it, but at least it didn't disappoint once I got to it.

The only other graphic novel I've read by Mariko Tamaki was This One Summer, which was lovely, but had a subplot that hit a bit too close to home for me and made it a rather painful reading experience for me. This one, with its focus on (tragic) romance and friendship was more to my taste. I started reading it during a day I actually had quite a lot to do and had only intended to make a start on it, but instead ended up having to rearrange my schedule, because I once I started, I couldn't really put it down. In This One Summer, the illustrations are done by Mariko's sister Jillian, here she collaborates with Rosemary Valero-O'Connell, who captures the characters beautifully. A really good story accompanied by bad art can be enjoyed, but it's so much better when both the writing and art are both high quality.

Teenagers are often rather self-centred and selfish, caring mostly about themselves and their own issues and as such, Freddy felt very realistic. She is happy to hang out with her friends, but because she's so caught up with her own drama, she doesn't really seem to notice or care about what is happening with others. She has gotten used to her friends, including her best friend Doodle, always being there for her, listening to her and supporting her through her multiple dumpings and getting back together again with Laura Dean, but not really that Doodle and the others are clearly getting frustrated with the constant back and forth, and Freddy's complete inability to see how bad Laura Dean is for her. 

Personally, I couldn't really see what was supposed to be so great about Laura, but then I'm an asexual lady in my forties, who spends much of my working year around teenagers and their drama, so I try to live a very drama free existence the rest of the time. I shared the frustration of Freddy's friends that she would wake up and smell the toxic girlfriend sooner, but I suppose there would have been a lot less plot if the book was 'I'm sick of Laura Dean using me and stringing me along, so I'll dump her once and for all and get on with my life'. 

I think Freddy's friend Doodle was my favourite character, and I felt really bad for her, trying to support Freddy through yet another inevitable break-up with the same person, while she herself really needed a friend and support because of a complicated and sad situation of her own. The rest of the supporting cast (with the exception of Laura Dean, who is clearly the antagonist, of sorts) also added to my enjoyment of the book. 

While Freddy herself had me rolling my eyes possibly one time too many, this book in some ways reminded me of Heartstopper, because it's a story of relatable and realistic-seeming teens, many of whom are queer, including the protagonist, but it's not about awkwardly coming out, or having to struggle for acceptance among parents and friends. These teens are just allowed to be who they are, without facing hatred and bullying. I'm glad I finally read this, and will be recommending it to others looking for a quick read. 

Judging a book by its cover: The cover gives a little taste of Rosemary Valero-O'Connell's art, and while it only shows the back of Laura Dean, her jacket, posture and haircut all suggest her cool mean-girl attitude. We only get to see one eye of Freddy's, which looks a bit anxious and unsure. It's a really well-done image. 

Crossposted on Cannonball Read

No comments:

Post a Comment